Our unit exists to provide assistance to current and prospective donors who are interested in supporting undergraduate students at Michigan State University. Below are answers to some commonly asked questions. 

I want to create a scholarship at Michigan State University. What are my next steps?

If you would like to create a scholarship to benefit undergraduate students at MSU, please contact our office by email at bertram9@msu.edu or by phone at 1-517-355-2264. We are happy to assist you in the process of creating a gift in support of our students. Our office will work with you to draft a legal endowment or expendable fund agreement, outlining the criteria and procedures for dispersing the award.

How can I create a scholarship by including Michigan State University in my estate plans?

Scholarships can certainly be created through gifts of either cash, or planned gifts from your estate – or a combination of both. To establish a fund today, please contact the development team at The Office of Philanthropy for Undergraduate Education to take the next step.

How do I obtain financial information about my existing endowment at Michigan State University?

It is best to work with the development officer in the unit that is responsible for your endowment. This unit name should be on your signed endowment agreement. 

The Office of Philanthropy for Undergraduate Education is able to provide financial information for endowments that list the responsible unit as the Office of Financial Aid and the Office of Admissions. 

The Office of Philanthropy for Undergraduate Education mails annual endowment reports to our endowment holders (with valid address information on file with Michigan State University) at the end of the calendar year. This data is for the fiscal year ending in the previous June. 

It is important to note that endowment financial information is updated quarterly, so up-to-the-day information is not always available.

What is the difference between an endowed fund and an expendable fund?

Expendable awards are distributed directly to students. Scholarships can only be granted when there is funding made available through donations. There is no minimum required amount to establish an MSU expendable scholarship. You may work with our office to establish the expendable scholarship agreement. 

Endowed awards are invested, and awards are distributed using the investment income. This means that the award lives on in perpetuity and can grant scholarships forever. A minimum of $50,000 is required to establish an MSU endowed scholarship. This can be made in one payment, or pledged over a period of time up to five years. Our office will work with you to draft a legal endowment agreement outlining the criteria and procedures for dispersing the awards.

How do I find out if my company offers a matching gift for my donation?

University Advancement has a convenient matching gift guide available online. Visit the matching gifts database search feature on the Giving to MSU website to search for your company's name and any applicable gift match criteria.

I am looking for financial aid for my student. What should I do?

Individuals interested in applying for scholarships or fellowships should start by contacting the Office of Financial Aid. You can also utilize the MSU Scholarship Search database and the Office of Financial Aid's information guides.

I have more questions. Who do I contact?

If you have more questions about how you can support students at Michigan State University, please contact our office: 

The Office of Philanthropy for Undergraduate Education

Olds Hall

408 W. Circle Drive, Room 204

East Lansing, MI 48824 

Phone: (517) 355-2264 

Email: bertram9@msu.edu